Frequently asked questions about ORGANIC.
What is ORGANIC?
- No chemical sprays used during cultivation
- No artificial fertilizers used during during cultivation
- No genetic modifications
- A recognized term protected by law
- The labelled product is subject to the control mechanisms of the EC Organic Farming Directive
- Those using the term without permission are criminally liable.
What does EC 834/2007 stand for?
- For the approval number of the EC Directive for organic cultivation, storage, labelling, quality control, etc.
- The EC Organic Farming Directive is an instrument for ensuring legal protection of the growing market for organic products
- The EC Organic Farming Directive applies to all organic products originating in Europe or being delivered to Europe.
What is the organic control system?
- The EC Organic Farming Directive regulates minimum standards for all organic agriculture
- The control system encompasses the entire operation from production to processing
- There are more than 20 recognised organic certification bodies
- All European organic farms are subject to a yearly, obligatory control, as well as numerous sample checks at every stage of the production process
What does the organic label mean?
- Since 2002 the organic label is the official symbol for organic products in Germany
- For consumer it guarantees transparency and security when shopping
- It guarantees that products will be produced, controlled and imported according to EU-Eco-Regulation
- The organic label may be affixed on organic goods after registration
- Decisive is the visible control Job Title on the package, eg. DE-Öko-001
(DE = Germany - 001 = responsible control Authority)